Friday, February 17, 2017

Hiatus

This blog has been fun to write. It's given me a chance to organize my notes (which are very long and chaotic) in a presentable way. However, even though I've only been writing this blog for a few months, it takes up a lot of work and time. There are some other things in my life right now which take precedent, so I've decided to put this blog on hiatus.

The purpose of this blog is not just to share applications, but to inspire others to do their own searching. If you have any questions about the ITF forms (Chon-Ji through Gae-Baek) feel free to comment and I'll look through my notes and see what I can find.

My posts on Joong-Gun and Ko-Dang might have given the impression that each set in a form has one application and that's it. While I think discovering the form's strategy or theme is important, many of the sets -- especially those in the lower forms -- have multiple applications to them. For example: the wedging block set in Do-San can be used to block a roundhouse punch, to block a shove, to create a nikkyo wrist lock, to defend against a double lapel grab, or as tomoe nage. So I wouldn't get too hung up on what the "right" application is: find something that both works and follows the form.

Here is a directory of the posts so far:

Chon-Ji and Dan-Gun

Using chambers to parry attacks (Discusses both parry-pass and brush-grab-strike)
Addendum: More on basic blocks
The front stance middle punch
Dan-Gun: Defense against roundhouse punches
Additional Applications

Do-San

Locking in Do-San, Part I
Locking in Do-San, Part II

Joong-Gun

Kick-catching, Part I
Kick-catching, Part II
Kick-catching, Part III

Choong-Moo

Throwing in Choong-Moo, Part I
Throwing in Choong-Moo, Part II

Po-Eun

Even more throwing, from Po-Eun!

Ko-Dang

Tackle defense, Part I
Tackle defense, Part II

Meta

Why the ITF forms are not just remixes of Shotokan karate kata

No comments:

Post a Comment